[gnome-love] A cool new feature for Gtk

Today I was in one of the usual news and mail reading sessions, and realized something that could be very useful for Gtk to implement.

Usually when I read mail I like to mark the interesting stuff with Evolution for further reading (with the little red exclamation sign). Nautilus emblems are usually helpful too when browsing documents. The thing is that sometimes I am not interested in all the content of the mail or file, but in some little parts that I'll need to read in the future.

What I would like is to have this feature implemented in a text widget (or textview, don't recall). One should be able to mark some parts of the text and give it a particular color and optionally set an emblem and a description. All this should be metadata for the particular archive (I don't have a clue on how to implement this on the current Linux's filesystems, I do know NTFS and the Mac have this).

All this shouldn't interfere with the program using the text widget, so maybe a menu should popup when selecting text and right clicking on it with a key combination pressed.

I want this to be implemented this way (directly in the text widget) because lots of programs could use this, the Nautilus text view being the best example of this. I don't know if Evolution uses the text widget or gtkhtml.

The coolest thing would be to implement this in a navigator, but I realize this can be very hard because of the dynamic nature of the web content these days. But, it should be given some thought though.

I can not do it myself since I don't have that much experience neither with C nor Gtk, but I guessed some gnome hacker could get interested. If someone does, please inform me so I can at least contribute with ideas and testing.

Cheers!
--
Pablo Baena <pbaena uol com ar>