[gnome-love] Steps for submitting patches?

What are the steps a newbie should take when he or she thinks they've fixed a bug in GNOME? I've made a simple change locally that mostly alleviates bug 87320 (keyboard slowness in GNOME Stones), and I want to make sure I follow the right steps in getting it looked at.

Is it considered polite to add the patch directly to the bug report in Bugzilla (I do have an account), or should I first send the patch and a description of my change to one of the mailing lists for review?

I've actually posted patches to Bugzilla before, but I'd feel more comfortable knowing what people normally expect to see happen. The existing documentation on getting involved doesn't seem to cover this.

--
Simon South
ssouth hamlet dyndns org