Re: [gnome-love] Using make

We tend to use 'automake' to generate a Makefile.in file from a
Makefile.am, and then 'autoconf' creates a configure script that the
user runs to generate their Makefile(s).

autoconf and automake can be quite convoluted and daunting, but the
benefits are worth it. Start by copying the Makefile.am and configure.in
from a simple project, and using the automake/autoconf docs for
reference, mould them to work with your project, getting to understand
them at the same time.

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/gnome-libs/using-autoconf-automake.html

--
Ross