Re: [gnome-love] Re: interface for C program

Chris Wareham wrote:

If you haven't already
got a good book on Tcl/Tk, then check out parts III and IV of John
Ousterhout's seminal book "Tcl and the Tk Toolkit".

Unfortunately, while the Ousterhout book *was* one of the clearest
expositions of Tcl/Tk (including the best explaination of how to use
the C API to integrate with other C code), it's terribly dated.  Unless
for historical reasons someone needs to stick with the 7.X series,
I can't recommend the Ousterhout book any more.

Probably Brent Welch's book, "Practical Programming in Tcl and
Tk" would be a better start (it does cover 8.X).

A challenge:  anyone who can write and make available *somehow*
an explanation of how to interface existing C code with Glib/Gtk+ that
makes it as easy and clear as Tcl 7.X and Ousterhout's book will be
doing a great service to the Gtk+/GNOME programming world.
No offence, Havoc.  :)  (And yes, I've looked at chapters 11 & 13
of GGAD.)

Hmm ...  a tutorial on wrapping existing C APIs as GtkObjects (now
GObjects), with how to make them available through the scripting
language bindings, would be a good, good thing ...

peace,

Zach