Re: [gnome-love] submitting patches to maintainers

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 06:08:14PM +0100, asan euskalnet net wrote:
I've solved a little bug of gedit. Now I want to generate a patch and
send it to the maintainer. I have the gedit sources from the gnome cvs
server. There is a procedure for generating diffs?

There are two methods you can use.

(1) Use 'cvs diff' to produce the differences between your current
source tree and the current CVS repository. Save the output of this to a
file (best to use the 'cvs diff -u' version of the command so that you
get a unified diff) and send that file to the maintainer. If you have
created any new files that aren't in CVS, you will need to attach them
as well, because 'cvs diff' will just ignore them (they aren't in the
repository).

(2) If you have been working in a seperate directory, you can just make
sure your CVS checkout is up to date and then do 'diff -urN cvs-dir
new-dir > foo.diff' to get the differences between the two directory
trees.

In both cases, don't forget to include a ChangeLog entry. :-)

If the above was too brief or unclear, sing out and I'll post more
details.

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
Nothing is fool-proof to a talented fool.