RE: [gnome-love] Code Auditing as Love

This sort of a document would be a great starting place.  I guess the
first thing that must be done is research on the web as to whether such a
document already exists.  Anybody can do this - you don't need experience
with code auditing.  Once we know what is out there, we can decide whether
to use the existing documentation or to adapt and improve on it for GNOME.

I think this is a fine place for somebody who is looking for a task to
contribute.

BTW: This would not only be helpful for people auditing code, but would be
valuable to hackers who want to avoid the most common pitfalls in their
code.

Dan

I've already found some results

the best search term is 'code inspection'

here is a code inspection checklist for C++

http://www.infosec.jmu.edu/courses/CS555infosec99/Deliverables/CppChk.htm

very complete

here is another code inspection overview

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/courses/2001/spring/cs121/htmlcode.old/

and another

http://www.cs.rose-hulman.edu/~ardis/Courses/CS490VandV/CS490checklist.html

and another

http://www2.ics.hawaii.edu/~johnson/FTR/Bib/Baldwin92.html

and another

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Resources/PSE/PSE99/WWW/codeInspections/codeIns
pectionProcess.html

with a checklist

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Resources/PSE/PSE99/WWW/codeInspections/maintai
nabilityChecklist.html

here is another

http://www.homeport.org/~adam/review.html

and here is a interesting study on defect detection

http://www.bell-labs.com/user/hpsiy/research/thesis/main.html

I'll let you know if I find any others that are worthwhile,

Tom M.
TomM Pentstar com