[gnome-love] Re: [Nautilus-list] GNOME user environment brainstorming

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Calum Benson wrote:

eem12 cornell edu wrote:

IMO, the complexity of the Panel should be controlled by user levels as
well.  Will novice user understand the idea of multiple desktops? Will
they ever even have enough windows open to need it?

Well, I'm not a huge fan of user levels anyway, myself, but I don't
think this is a user level issue particularly-- if people don't
understand multiple desktops, they shouldn't switch them on  :o)  Or

I really disagree here - just because standard gnome installation is
horribly unuasble when it comes to multiple desktops or in fact not
showing the user any clue these were supported at all.

more importantly, if they do switch them on whilst exploring and don't
understand them, we need to make sure it's easy to switch them right
back off again.  (But this sort of 'advanced' feature shouldn't be
switched on by default for anyone, IMHO...)

No, desk guide should come up by default unless user specificly turned it
of. Not that it's obvious 'desk guide' was anything but a way to turn on
some utterly horribly MS Office assistant (aka paperclip) clone.

Do we want people goping back to CDE (or XFCE or ...) just because they
don't want to have anything to do with a desktop system that can't even
deal with multiple desktops.

[big snip]

Cheeri,
Calum.