[gnome-love] Re: [Nautilus-list] GNOME user environment brainstorming

on 5/24/01 4:40 PM, Havoc Pennington at hp redhat com wrote:

eem12 cornell edu writes:
IMO, the complexity of the Panel should be controlled by user levels as
well.  Will novice user understand the idea of multiple desktops? Will
they ever even have enough windows open to need it?

Some people have said the user level should affect only which prefs
are available, rather than rearrange the UI. But I don't know what the
official line on this is.

I don't know who would have an "official line". However, I can tell you the
reasoning we used in Nautilus. In Nautilus, the rule (though there are a
couple of obscure exceptions) is that preferences give advanced users more
choices, rather than changing behavior. An advanced user should be able to
configure the preferences in a way to exactly match the beginning user
setup, if so desired.

The argument for this is pretty straightforward: if there are two user
levels, A and B, and they change a bunch of behaviors, then each user has to
choose which complete set of behaviors they prefer overall. It is likely
that many people will prefer some of the behaviors in A and some in B, and
these people will be sad, because there is no way to get what they want. On
the other hand, if there is user level X and Y, and the only difference is
that Y gives you more choices (and possibly different defaults), then people
who don't like to fuss with preferences will stick to X and be happy. People
who want to change some of the things controlled by preferences will use Y
and tweak it until they're happy. Nobody should be sad, because it is
possible for anyone to get the exact combination of settings they desire, by
using Y.

John