Re: [gnome-love] Another Intro and question

michaeld senet com au wrote:
So I'd like to learn how to get involved and maybe obtain that mythical status
of GNOME hacker one day :-)

sounds great !

Now for my first question...  I really like the packaging that Ximian do with
GNOME and that's my preferred desktop.  How easy is it to run a parallel stream
of components built from CVS alongside the rock-solid-stable Ximian RPMs?

I haven't found any problems at all. Some people like installing the CVS
stuff
in a different location but i think it is not worth the pain. I get
everything
from RPM build by Ximian and install from source whatever i am working
on.

Say
for example I'd like to fix some of the problems with evolution which really
annoy me.  Can I just grab evolution from CVS, start hacking and building on top
of Ximian GNOME 1.4?  Or do I need to install the latest and greatest unstable
gdk, gtk, bonobo, gconf, gnome print etc to work on evolution?

There is an evolution snapshots channel in redcarpet so you can get all
the
libraries from there. But i strongly recommend not starting with
something like
evolution. I suggests starting with something a lot smaller and not so
bleeding
edge.

You can replace
evolution with gnome-games, or gnome-core, or indeed anything else, I guess what

Other packages do not requiere the latest and greatest libraries.

I'm asking is do I need to go to a completely unstable, everything built from
CVS HEAD, so that I can do some hacking?

What i do is :
1. get everything from RPMS
2. get the code for the libraries I use so that i can browse them,
   without installing them. gtk+ glib gnome-print gal etc..
3. get the code that i am going to work on and install that, if i need
   to use the program and it is unstable i just go back to the latest
   tarball (but almost never do).

love,
Chema