Re: [gnome-love] uGnome

comments below...

On 26 Jun 2001 15:12:44 -0500, Chema Celorio wrote:
I am not sure this is a right task for hackers starting with GNOME for a
number of reasons. It does not sound like a simple task to do, they need
access to the hardware and i assume a great amount of work will be in
the libraries.

Not really. All the gnome libs compile on ARM. I've already written a
few small gtk apps that run on my iPaq. It's no more difficult than
writing them for x86. The problem is that most of the gnome UI is
useless because it is not tailored to the small screen of a handheld.
For instance, a new "mini" panel might need to be written to take up
less (screen) space. Work is needed on a lightweight wm that would
interact well with gtk and have a low (screen) profile, and so forth.
This is all every day gtk/X/c programming.

What I am most interested in is designing it. That is the most important
part. Once we have a few visual mockups I can realize them with code.
Any UI experts wanna help me get started?

BTW, checkout http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/embedded/qpe.html
for a good example of a handheld desktop might look.

Have you started to work on this already ?

Nothing serious, no.

-ryan