[gnome-love] Gnome Ressource Project

Hello!

I've got an idea for a new project: The Gnome Ressource Project.

That project is about how Gnome uses ressources and how to improve it. I
think mainly about speed and memory usage. Some months ago, I used Gnome
1.2 on a 486/80 with 32mb ram. That went almost fine, but I had to have
a look at the memory and the processor. Recently, however, there's a
trend to bloated applications, like nautilus and evolution. On the other
hand, there are applications like Abiword and Gnumeric, who are fast and
slim. So it /is/ possible to be ressource aware.

I don't want Gnome to become like KDE, that wants 128mb ram to start
with. So I got the idea of a project that would support people who want
to reduce the ressource usage of Gnome.

That project would have some web sites like

#Tools
This would contain what profiling tools etc are available and how to use
them to find bottlenecks, memory monsters etc. This site is for people
who want to help and need to know how.

#Todo
This sites list programs that are too slow or use too much memory etc.
That gives us the chance to improve where it's needed. People then try
to trace down the problems and add more detailed descriptions to the
list, so developers know where something can be improved.

#Most common problems
Here we would put hints for programmers how to avoid extensive memory
usage and how to avoid common bottlenecks etc. Whenever we find
something that's often done wrong, we can here describe the problem and
how to fix it.

And, of course, there would be a mailing list to discuss all this. The
web sites can be built as a result of that discussions. People on that
list can complain about progs that waste ressources, discuss what needs
to be done and what can be done, ask for help how to do it etc.

Any ideas? Comments? Flames?