Re: [gnome-love] Intrested in hacking gnome and doing gtop tree

Mike Borrelli wrote:

Hey,

Sorry for this pseudo-'me too' response. I just had a thought about it and hoped it might be of some use.

Lots of people complain that Linux isn't user friendly enough. It's getting better and I'm sure that one day our grandparents are going to be building rpms and such, but anyway. On to my idea how to help it get that way.

This applet seems like a really neat idea, but what would be cool (and shouldn't be too difficult to add on to what you propsed already) is a 'list' of programs that are system in nature, ie, /usr/X11R6/X, etc. If the util had this, along with some other options, it would be really neat for a newbie. The idea is that if the program drawing the CPU time is a 'critical' or 'system' task, don't show the user if it's in beginer mode, for example. This way, if for some reason, X was the culprit and some Joe Schmow saw this, he might not know that X is required for GNOME to run, so he'd happily kill it and wonder why everything went away.

I'm not sure how much configurablity it should have, but it would be neat to have programs (with regular expression matching), users, and a 'skill level'. If it's set to beginer it only shows their own tasks that run away. Intermediate would show their own and system tasks with a warning, and Expert would just show the task without using any of the filters.

Good?  Awful?

I see no reason why that wouldn't be a good thing - sounds quite good to me, in fact. Fits in nicely with user levels as well, so it could be hooked into the global GNOME user level system whenever that's completed.

Probably someone who knows a lot more about this kind of stuff than me is going to come along now and say exactly why it's a terrible idea...

Regards

Matt