Re: [gnome-love] Can anyone guide me on compiling from CVS

On 17 Aug 2001 23:17:38 -0600, Jon Bowman @ Home wrote:
Basically I'm looking at becoming more involved with Gnome so having
compiled everything from tar balls so far I decided to pull from CVS.

Ok, i've seen this before. If you want to get involved with GNOME
development you don't need to compile everything from CVS. Believe me,
you are going to have enough compile related headaches to look for more.
Compile all you need for real work, well that is what i recommend.

So I have a cvs copy of gnome-pilot for example how do I compile this
thing, or rather more to the point how do I get a configure script to be
built.
I'm not that used to aclocal, automake, autogen etc and just can't seem
to make
headway. Most of the docs I've seen say to run ./autogen.sh however I
get
this when I do

poopsalot > ./autogen.sh
**Warning**: I am going to run `configure' with no arguments.
If you wish to pass any to it, please specify them on the
`./autogen.sh' command line.
processing .
deletefiles is  macros/gnome-gettext.m4
Creating ./aclocal.m4 ...
Running gettextize...  Ignore non-fatal messages.
You should update your own `aclocal.m4' by adding the necessary
macro packages gettext.m4, lcmessage.m4 and progtest.m4 from
the directory `/aclocal'
Making ./aclocal.m4 writable ...
Running libtoolize...
You should add the contents of `/extras/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
`aclocal.m4'.
Running aclocal  -I macros ...
aclocal: configure.in: 86: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 102: macro `AM_PATH_LIBGLADE' not found in
library
**Error**: aclocal failed. This may mean that you have not
installed all of the packages you need, or you may need to
set ACLOCAL_FLAGS to include "-I $prefix/share/aclocal"
for the prefix where you installed the packages whose
macros were not found

Ok. This specific problem is that you need to have GLIB and LIBGLADE
install. I recomend that you get -devel rpms (or .debs) for glib and
libglade-gnome.

What is happening here is that glib and libglade install .m4 macros in
$PREFIX/share/aclocal so go look for this .m4 macros in the

2)  -I /opt/gnome-14j3/share/aclocal

dir.

If someone could point me at a tutorial whatever or just give some
guideance I would
much appreciate it...

We don't have any. I've wanted to write one for some time but we need
something like a FAQ. I'll start writing a FAQ for compiling GNOME stuff
from tarballs/cvs good idea.

regards,
Chema

Thanks