Re: Preventing network scans once connected via libnm

On Sat, Oct 01, 2022 at 12:46:24AM +0000, Charles Lohr via networkmanager-list wrote:
In our application, we need to maintain connection to an AP and it needs to stay low latency for a variety
of reasons.  Whenever networks are scanned, for us they create an unacceptable level of latency (>50ms in
many cases) on the connection.

Sometimes we stop NetworkManager from running with `pkill -STOP NetworkManager` and `pkill -CONT
NetworkManager` but, for a variety of reasons this is disadvantageous.

I've seen references to people online saying you can prevent scanning once connected by specifying a BSSID,
but I don't see how that can be done with libnm.

Currently we use the following, where path can be gotten from either a scan or `nm_connection_get_path`

```
nm_client_activate_connection_async ( m_pClient, conn, (NMDevice*)m_pDevice, sAccessPointPath.c_str(),
nullptr, []( GObject* pObj, GAsyncResult* res, gpointer pContext ) {...} );
```

What mechanism can we use to specify that a given path should lock it's BSSID when using NetworkManager via
libnm?

Hi,

to disable scanning, you can set the property
NM_SETTING_WIRELESS_BSSID of the setting NMSettingWireless to the AP's
BSSID when the connection profile is created. To get the AP's BSSID
use nm_access_point_get_bssid().