Simultaneous use of link-local + DHCP for IPv4

According to Wikipedia [1], IPv6 hosts are required to always configure a
link-local address, even if a global address is available. As far as I
know, NM allows only one type of address (link-local / DHCP / manual) for an
IPv4 connection (although multiple addresses may be configured in manual mode).

Would it be useful (or is it already possible), to allow parallel use of
link-local + dhcp/manual for IPv4?

Background: On our (embedded) product, we currently implement only IPv4 (nobody
asked for IPv6 support yet). The user is responsible for choosing the address
selection method according to his needs in order to communicate with our device.

In future versions, we would like to add peer-to-peer communication between
our devices which shall work independently of a proper IP address configured
by the user. So if the device is configured for DHCP (factory default),
discovery and communication between our devices shall work also for such cases,
where no DHCP server is present.

We try to avoid the "Microsoft" approach where link-local is used as a fallback
if no DHCP server is responding. This would increase startup time and doesn't
perform well if the DHCP server is connected later (due to the mobile nature of
our equipment).

regards,
Christian

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-configuration_networking#Address_selection

Christian
Eggers
Software Engineer
ARRI
Arnold & Richter Cine Technik GmbH & Co. Betriebs KG
Arriweg 17
83071
Stephanskirchen
www.arri.com

+49 8036 3009-3118
CEggers arri de

Orbiter Projection Optics
Get all the latest information from www.arri.comFacebookTwitterInstagramLinkedIn and YouTube.

Arnold & Richter Cine Technik GmbH & Co. Betriebs KG
Sitz: München ‑ Registergericht: Amtsgericht München ‑ Handelsregisternummer: HRA 57918
Persönlich haftender Gesellschafter: Arnold & Richter Cine Technik GmbH
Sitz: München ‑ Registergericht: Amtsgericht München ‑ Handelsregisternummer: HRB 54477
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Matthias Erb (Chairman); Dr. Michael Neuhäuser; Stephan Schenk; Walter Trauninger