Re: Adding experimental arguments to nmcli tool

Hi,

On Mon, 2022-03-07 at 12:54 +0100, Fernando F. Mancera via
networkmanager-list wrote:

It has been considered to add experimental new arguments to 'nmcli'
tool
related to keyfiles. These arguments will be added with a warning
message on documentation specifying they are experimental. The main
idea
is to experiment and not commit to them for a long time.

re:experimental.

I don't think it's good to mark new API as experimental. Breaking API
is annoying to users, and should only be done if there are very very
good reasons or when no users are affected. Otherwise, the annoyance is
the same regardless whether the API is marked as experimental. With the
difference, that if the API was experimental, it has the notion of
being the fault of the user using the API (which it really isn't).

We can never be 100% sure that an API is perfectly future proof. We can
just think hard and try to make the best choices now. And if something
turns out not to be optimal, we treat that like we always do.

best,
Thomas