cloned-mac-address not working when current mac is 00:00:00:00:00:00

I'm using a yocto arm build of NetworkManager 1.32.10 on an embedded device.  There is a broadcom network device attached over PCIe that comes up with a MAC of 00:00:00:00:00:00 on network device enp1s0, and I am trying to manage it with NetworkManager.  I set cloned-mac-address to the mac that I want to assign to it.  However when I try to bring it up I get this helpful error:

# nmcli con up ethernet-enp1s0
Error: Connection activation failed: No suitable device found for this connection (device enp1s0 not available because device is not available).

If I set the MAC to something else with "ip link set dev enp1s0 addr <mac>" first, then the nmcli con up succeeds and sets the mac to the value specified in cloned-mac-address.  Is there a way to get this to work on boot with just NetworkManager?  My nmconnection file:

[connection]
id=ethernet-enp1s0
uuid=28e8dabf-ea87-4b3c-81f4-8db3bfa10886
type=ethernet
interface-name=enp1s0
permissions=

[ethernet]
cloned-mac-address=00:11:22:33:44:55
mac-address-blacklist=

[ipv4]
dns-search=
method=disabled

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
dns-search=
method=disabled

[proxy]

--

Aaron Brice

aaron brice nikolamotor com

Nikola Logo
NIKOLA CORPORATION | nikolamotor.com

INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS E-MAIL TRANSMISSION IS CONFIDENTIAL. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, DO NOT READ, DISTRIBUTE OR REPRODUCE THIS TRANSMISSION (INCLUDING ANY ATTACHMENTS). IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER BY E-MAIL REPLY AND THEN DELETE THIS E-MAIL.