Changing IP on bridge without disconnecting VMs

I have my primary ethernet interface configured in a bridge in NM, so
that I can run VMs and have them on the local network directly.  I
needed to change the IP of the host system, but when I ran "nmcli con up
br0", NM removed the VM virtual NICs from the bridge.

Is there a way to do this differently so that wouldn't happen?  It's not
a common thing of course, but something I have needed to do before.
--
Chris Adams <linux cmadams net>