Re: Autoconnect backoff

On Wed, 2022-07-06 at 15:14 +0200, Sven Schwermer via networkmanager-
list wrote:
Hi,

I have a device with cellular modem running a Linux-based OS with
ModemManager/NetworkManager used for the connectivity management.
Occasionally, the cellular connection breaks and it takes several
connection attempts until the connection can be established again.
Currently, we have autoconnect-retries=0 for our cellular connection
so
there are infinite retries. This, however, can cause significant
system
load if the ModemManager connect (dbus) calls fail immediately which
occasionally happens.

As far as I understand, NetworkManager will attempt a new
autoconnection
attempt right away after the previous attempt failed. The only way of
slowing this down is to set autoconnect-retries=1 which will cause
NetworkManager to wait for 5 minutes between attempts. This wait
duration seems to be fixed.

Is there a way to make NetworkManager perform a backoff (e.g. linear
or
exponential) between connection attempts? Are there any other ways to
guarantee that the cellular modem is "always connected" without
having
NetworkManager to loop like crazy when a (re-)connection attempt
fails?

Thanks and best regards,
Sven

Hi

what you say is correct.

No, this is how it works.

After autoconnect-retries, autoconnect gets blocked for 5 minutes. That
is not configurable.

Patch or suggestion for improvements welcome, however, it's not clear
to me how to extend this so that it makes sense.

Thomas