Re: Consent, maybe?

On Fri, 2021-03-19 at 06:52 -0400, Adam Sherlock via networkmanager-
list wrote:
Hello I'm new to programming and in the process of learning Rust. I
was looking into possibly using your code as a sort of template for
writing a similar network manager in Rust. I'm not sure if this would
fall under LPGL or not so I figured I'd ask first if it does and if
so could I get consent please?

Thank you,

Adam Sherlock (piliener)

Hi,

Copyright on NetworkManager is held by many people, there is no
individual who can give consent.

As far as I know, all NetworkManager code is either licensed GPL-2.0-
or-later or LGPL-2.1-or-later. If you use the code under terms of GPL-
2.0-or-later, then there is no problem. If you want to use the code
under terms of LGPL-2.1-or-later, then you have to take care which code
you are looking at. Each file has a SPDX-License-Identifier that is
probably/presumably correct -- albeit it's often more strict than
necessary: meaning, many files claim to be GPL-2.0-or-later when
actually most/all of the code in that file would actually be LGPL-2.1-
or-later. You'd only know that be investigating.

Having said that, I don't know how much code you can reuse of
NetworkManager in a Rust implementation. Probably many things work
sufficiently different for that not to be a problem. But I don't know.

best,
Thomas