how to disable WiFi / wpa-supplicant so hostapd can be used ?

Good day -

 Whenever I try to run hostapd, NM still runs wpa-supplicant,
 which periodically tries to put the WiFi interface into scanning
 mode, which messes up the hostapd session .

 Please is there a config file setting or applet interaction
 to disable wpa-supplicant (and maybe configure & run hostapd) ?

 I'd like NM to start dhclient on my Wired interface, and
 be able to bring up my L2TP VPN, but leave the Wireless
 interface entirely alone.

 Any way to do this in NetworkManager.conf or GUI ?

Thanks in advance for any replies,
Best Regards,
Jason