Re: NetworkManager removes *STATIC* IP address from interface when link down

07.07.2020 04:51, Graham пишет:
Thomas, I'm still struggling with this one.

I read the man page and have created a new file in
/etc/NetworkManager/conf.d

I also note that the "main" option that you suggested is deprecated in
favour of per-device options, but I have been unable to get either
version to work.

The man page gives no examples of usage, so I tried a few things. Listed
below is what I tried.

Any suggestions?

[main]

main.ignore-carrier

(this would stop NetworkManager from running)

[main]

main.ignore-carrier=1

(no change, link down would cause IP address deconfigure)

[main]

main.ignore-carrier=enp6s0

(no change, link down would cause IP address deconfigure)

This should have been

[main]
ignore-carrier=enp6s0

[enp6s0]

ignore-carrier

(this would stop NetworkManager from running)

[enp6s0]

ignore-carrier=1

(no change, link down would cause IP address deconfigure)

[enp6s0]

ignore-carrier=true

(no change, link down would cause IP address deconfigure)

[enp6s0]

match-device=interface-name:enp6s0

ignore-carrier=1

(no change, link down would cause IP address deconfigure)

None of these will work.

[device]
ignore-carrier=true

will ignore carrier for all devices

[device-ignore-carrier]
match-device=enp0s0
ignore-carrier=true

Will apply ignore-carrier according to match list.

And yes, NM manuals are hard to understand without also looking at the
sources.