Re: nm-applet edit unplugged device connections/profiles

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 9:08 AM Thomas Haller <thaller redhat com> wrote:
On Fri, 2019-02-22 at 07:43 -0600, Greg Oliver via networkmanager-list
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there some way to get nm-applet to show unplugged (ethernet
> dongles) devices profiles in it's menu at all times?  All of my
> recent laptops have been thunderbolt usb-c only and my wired ethernet
> adapters have all been one of the variants, but until I plug them in,
> I cannot even see my profiles from the GUI anywhere.  Is there some
> way to change this behavior?
>
> Running Fedora (29).

Hi,

nm-applet is a tool (GUI in the system tray bar) to show devices, which
profiles are currently active, and to activate/deactivate profiles on
devices.

Consequently, you don't see profiles that have no suitable device at
the moment.

Use nm-connection-editor for that, which only focuses on
creating/modifing/deleting profiles.

In nm-applet, you can also right click and select "Edit
Connections...", which spawns nm-connection-editor -- though, I think
right-click does not work if nm-applet uses libappindicator. Regardless
of that, you can always start nm-connection-editor manually, the effect
is the same.

Does that work?
Perfect - exactly what I needed!

Thanks Thomas - I have been looking through the config files and nmcli to flip some switch without luck :)

I sure wish that the Gnome folks would not have removed the bonding/vlan/connection stuff from Settings, and I always seem to forget about nm-connection-editor :-/

best,
Thomas