Re: NetworkManager behavior answers not found in docs

On 10/26/2018 10:05 AM, Thomas Haller wrote:

The return value of the nmcli command is odd, maybe a bug.

In any event, it may be confusing for the user or a script indeed which then could legitimely think the managed request succeeded.

It returns success, because it successfully flagged the device that the
user wishes to manage it. However, there may still be other (stronger)
reasons, why the device stays unmanaged (NM_CONTROLLED=no).

ok

Ah, there is also `nmcli -f GENERAL.NM-MANAGED device show eth0 `, but
this just returns (state != "unmanaged").

Wait : what's the diffence (if any) between GENERAL.NM-MANAGED == no and GENERAL.STATE == 10 (unmanaged) ?

Optimally, there would be a nother flag which is the opposite of `nmcli
device set $DEV managed $VALUE`. So, when you issue device-set, it
would succeed and would toggle this flag, but that alone may not be
sufficient to make the device (fully) GENERAL.NM-MANAGED yet.

I don't see what you mean here by "the opposite" : maybe just a flag to reflect the request (and its ack) of the desire to manage the device ?

# nmcli device set eth1 managed yes
# echo $?
0
# nmcli -f GENERAL.DEVICE,GENERAL.STATE device show
GENERAL.DEVICE:                         eth1
GENERAL.STATE:                          20 (unavailable)

state "unavailable", looks like the device has no cable plugged in (no
carrier). You'd also see that with `ip link show eth1` saying "NO-
CARRIER".

Well, it's a VMWare virtual interface but 'connected' in VMWare and iproute shows :

3: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:50:56:8a:42:bf brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

It seems normal to me the device is down since no one as configured it. But it seems I'm in a different case than no carrier'...
Maybe I'm supposed to see a LOWER_DOWN ?

Activation of the created profile then probably fails, because the
device has no carrier (which is required for successful DHCP).

Obviously the reason here is that the device is still unavailable but the question is why ? ;-)

-> ok, seems normal to as well since auto profile creation must not
work
under NM_UNMANAGED conditions

no, I think this part of the manual is misleading.

A device is either "unmanaged" or not. Udev's NM_UNMANAGED is a way to
configure the device as unmanaged, and `nmcli device set $DEV managed
yes` can overrule that. Aterwards, there is no further difference
between other managed devices.

Ok, that's indeed what I understood first.

Thanks

--
Thomas