u-blox R410M modem (QMI) configuration with modern Network-manager

Greetings,

I'm trying to use a u-blox QMI R410M with network manager on Ubuntu
bionic witht he following which works fine on Ubuntu xenial:

# nmcli connection add type gsm ifname cdc-wdm0 con-name mymodem apn $APN
# nmcli connection up id mymodem

The modem's QMI interface is indeed /dev/cdc-wdm0, my APN is correct,
and I can connect just fine using mmcli or qmicli directly.

On Xenial with network-manager-1.2.6 this works fine but on Bionic
with network-manager-1.10.6 this results in 'Error: Connection
activation failed: No suitable device found for this connection.'.

I'm thinking the connection configuration syntax has likely changed
I'm I'm simply using the wrong syntax?

Note that I'm using libqmi-1.20.2 and modemmanager-1.8.2 from
Aleksander's Ubuntu PPA's in both cases.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Tim