Re: NM and exposing bgscan roam threshold

Thomas,

What you wrote is correct  - to be carefully considered if one
configures this globally, or profile-specific.

Since the parameters are designed to handle roaming within an ESSID,
indeed one could have

this in a "enterprise-work" profile , and differing values for "at-home".

I think the global would be the way to go.

It's just about exposing the parameter to be easily changed. granted -
the user needs to know what they are doing.

The need behind this request is this - i work with many enterprise
networks which are often well built

based upon coverage and overlap specifications from industrial VOIP
units, primary coverage -60dBm, secondary a nice -70dBm

However; the same networks are more often using android and the like -
flexible, cheap, sexy.

However; default - android starts roaming at around -75dBm. when
favorite android-du-jour doesn't roam well, the

net admins start suspecting the network...

Linux is a great tool to prove network design and roaming
characteristics are right, and that given client roaming behavior is
sub-optimal.

One demonstration using Linux can save days of arguing about some horrid
driver used by other OS

from 1995...

it would be great to be able to easily configure roaming thresholds to
demonstrate, rather than hacking

wpa_supplicant.conf files - or rooting android - which are tactics I use
today.

Just another way of making Linux more useful and easier to use.

Best Regards,

Shawn