Re: ifcfg file for OVS bridge with NM_CONTROLLED=yes

On Wed, 2018-04-18 at 22:56 +0000, Kai Su wrote:
Hi,

I’m trying to add an ifcfg file for an OVS bridge, with
NM_CONTROLLED=yes. But I met with following warning when I tried to
bring up the interface, and the bridge was not created:
Apr 18 21:12:04 oc3.oc.local NetworkManager[97347]:
<warn>  [1524082324.0288] ifcfg-rh: Ignoring connection
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-brexample (eff31d60-71d3-8ac9-
a2ad-a429658a5895,"System brexample") of unrecognized type.

This is my ifcfg file:
DEVICE=brexample
ONBOOT=yes
DEVICETYPE=ovs
TYPE=OVSBridge
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=100.100.100.100
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
HOTPLUG=no
NM_CONTROLLED=yes

I’m running RHEL 7.5 with NetworkManager 1:1.10.2-13.el7, initscripts
9.49.41-1.el7.

Could you advise what the correct configuration parameters are for
OVS bridges and ports, please, so that they can be managed by NM?
Thanks a lot.

Best,
Kai

Hi,

NetworkManager's recently added support for OVS does not persist the
profiles to ifcfg (nor does it support reading them from ifcfg). The
reason is, that the way NM models the OVS setup follows more closely
what ovsdb does, which is incompatiblie with how initscripts (without
NetworkManager, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ovs) handle them.

For NetworkManager, OVS profiles can only be stored in keyfile format,
in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections.

While it's always possible to edit files by hand, I would suggest you
to use nmcli instead. See `man nm-openvswitch` for examples.

https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkManager/unstable/nm-openvswitch.html

best,
Thomas