Re: Can Network Manager be used for router-type configurations?

On Mon, 2018-04-02 at 16:46 +0100, Nick Howitt wrote:

Hi Nick,

1 - change the DHCP server range of addresses for a Wireless
Hotspot

You can do that by configuring a static/manual IP address. That
address
is assigned to the router, and the same subnet is shared. Explained
in
`man nm-settings`.

If I set the interface with an address and /24 subnet I see the DHCP
server using that subnet, but it always seems to use .10-.254 for
its
available address range. From your link in 3 below, can I pass the
parameters "first" and "last" to the script or are they hard coded?

They depend on the address that you set, see examples at:
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/src/dnsmasq/tests/test-dnsmasq-utils.c?id=eb8257dea5802a004af9cccacb30af98440e2172#n122

(older versions behaved slightly different:
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/commit/?id=d512ed9f1f1353166ae2110e2e6ffeb3d5f624d7
 )

2 - get WPA/PSK to work on the hotspot (it would configure bit
not
allow
connections)

Not sure what you are doing. WPA/PSK hotspot works for me with NM.

I'll have to try again. Configuring as WEP worked. Changing to WPA
and
changing the PSK never allowed a connection from Android. I also
tried a
simplistic configuration at the command line:
nmcli c add type wifi ifname wlp0s18f2u2 con-name nick autoconnect
no
ssid TEST
nmcli connection modify nick 802-11-wireless.mode ap
802-11-wireless.band bg ipv4.method shared
nmcli connection modify nick wifi-sec.key-mgmt wpa-psk
nmcli connection modify nick wifi-sec.psk "12345678"
nmcli connection up nick

but no dice.

if you do this, ipv6.method will be "auto". That (usually) will not
work. Set it to "ignore" or "shared".

An alternative might be to create the profile with `nmcli device wifi
hotspot` or the hotspot button in gnome-shell (and adjust it from
there).

best,
Thomas