How to start NetworkManager development

I'm interested in NetworkManager development.

Now I could build NetworkManager and start it by this command.
# Then I stop the existing NetworkManager by service command.

        $ ./src/NetworkManager

# I do not run "make install" because I do not want to over write existing
NetworkManager installed with apt get(I'm on Ubuntu 16.04).

And I think I should build network-manager-applet from this git also.
        git://git.gnome.org/network-manager-applet

But before building the network-manager-applet, the existing
network-manager-applet looks boot when I start the NetworkManager which I built.

Could I use built NetworkManager and network-manager-applet without over writing
existing them ? If it could, how to use it ?

Regards,
Masashi Honma.