Re: [RFC] IWD as wifi backend

On Thu, 2017-11-30 at 15:05 +0100, Andrew Zaborowski wrote:

Hi Andrew,

Can we make it that IWD or SUPPLICANT can be both enabled
(optionally)
at configure time, and select the right backend via a configuration
like main.wifi=iwd|wpa-supplicant in NetworkManager.conf?

That will probably require moving the wpa_supplicant support to a new
subclass of NMDeviceWifi so let me try to do that first.  I'll then
split the patch into pieces and send a new version.

Ah, I see. I didn't think of that.

Maybe it's simpler to have just two indpendent types NMDeviceWifi (for
supplicant) and NMDeviceIwd.

They both can implement the D-Bus interface
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.Wireless, there is no strong
requirement that they share a common parent class.

I was thinking that "nm-wifi-factory.c"'s create_device() would either
call nm_device_wifi_new() or nm_device_iwd_new(), depending on some
    nm_config_data_get_value (nm_config_get_data_orig (NM_CONFIG_GET),
                              "main",
                              "wifi-backend")

Common code should be shared, but it's not clear that you need a common
parent GObject type for that.

Say " (experimental)"?
Since the plugin doesn't include any new public API, every
misbehavior
is just a bug that we can fix later. We don't commit to new API
here.
So, "experimental" is just cosmetic to set user expectations
straight.

Ok, do you prefer that this be enabled by default so that it gets
build-tested and the iwd backend be guarded by the
NetworkManager.conf
setting (also with "experimental" comment)?

I would disable it by default (at least initially).

best,
Thomas