Question about NetworkManager suspend/resume

Hi,

I noticed recently that if I do 'pm-suspend' and then resume my laptop, wifi comes up much quicker than if I do 'systemctl suspend'. Upon further inspection of the code, I found that NetworkManager sets up this systemd inhibitor which tells nm to suspend just before the system suspends, whereas when pm-utils is used it doesn't suspend.

3 questions:
 - Is the above understanding correct?
 - Any insight as to why nm needs to do that? I didn't notice any network misbehavior when using pm-suspend.
 - Is there a way to disable this behavior when systemctl suspend is used?

Thanks.