assigning priority to connection

Hi

I’m using 0.9.10.2 of network manager and have noticed that there is no (apparent) priority given between a wifi and 3G connection. If I have an Ethernet connection connected then network manager sets the default route etc. as expected and the other connections are not used (but still connected). If I disconnect the Ethernet, it’s currently hit and miss whether it switches to wifi or 3G (usually actually 3G). Since there is a cost associated with 3G (and it’s slower) I’d rather I could assign a priority but can’t see how to do this. On older versions you could use nmcli to change the ‘connection.connection-priority’ setting or the ‘ipv4.route-metric’ but these seem to have disappeared recently? Maybe there’s another way of doing this that I haven’t found with the usual googling?

I obviously would like the priority to be Ethernet->wifi->3G so that if currently using 3G and say a wifi connection becomes available then it should switch to that. I’m surprised this isn’t the default behaviour unless it’s the cacca way I’ve set things up.

I’ve noticed that nm sets the ‘metric’ to 1024 for the interface with the default route and all others are 0. I have no problem with that, it’s just an observation.

Regards

Gary Metalle

Embedded Software Engineer