Where does NM persists which connection is active? (Centos7)

Hello,

Assuming there are multiple connection defined for an ethernet device
and only a single one is active, how can I detect which ifcfg file was used for the connection?

I cannot use nmcli for this, as NetworkManager is down at the moment I need the information.
I just hope this info is available somewhere (as when starting NM, the correct connection is activated).

Thanks,
Edy.