Re: Best practice for managing default routes over only VPN connections?

On 11/06/2016 07:30 PM, Paul Swanson wrote:
Hello,

I've recently been configuring my Ubuntu 16.10 laptop for default routing via VPN only and have discovered some difficulties.

My goal is to only connect to the Internet via a VPN and ensure that DNS requests are resolved by a trusted server only.

One thing I've noticed is that DNS resolution seems to be handled by NM on a connection by connection basis, but I want to ensure that DNS resolvers are fixed to my choice regardless of the underlying connection, without giving up NM control and dnsmasq for caching.

From what I've seen so far, the configuration bias is towards VPN connections providing tangential access to a private network and NOT as the default route.

I do recall seeing at least one howto for tunneling all traffic over SSH a long time ago. However, SSH may not be necessary.... Some VPN services offer OpenVPN access on port 443 (HTTPS) for example; This should work at least as well as SSH.

Chris

Would genuinely appreciate any guidance on how to best proceed here.

Thanks,

Paul S.

Sent from ProtonMail <https://protonmail.com>, encrypted email based in Switzerland.