Re: Documentation of device spec list does not agree with parser code

On 18/01/16 16:33, Thomas Haller wrote:
On Mon, 2016-01-18 at 15:48 +0000, Roger James wrote:
On 18/01/16 11:21, Thomas Haller wrote:
On Mon, 2016-01-18 at 10:54 +0000, Roger James wrote:
Hi Roger,

Sorry about the confusion. The ? instead of the ~ in the first
message
was a typo.

Produce the following statement in the man page entry:
Correct.
This implies that that interface-name:?on* should match for example
mon0.
Yes, this should indeed match.

However the code fro the nm_match_spec_interface_name function in
NetworkManagerUtils.c, only sets the match_pattern flag if it sees a
~
character as the first character of the interface name. This is at
or
around line 1322 of the source file.

it sets use_pattern=TRUE if the first character is not '='.

Seems correct to me.

I think that.

          <varlistentry>
            <term>interface-name:IFNAME</term>
            <listitem><para>Case sensitive match of interface name of
the device. Ranges and escaping is not supported.</para></listitem>
          </varlistentry>
That would be conceivable, but that would be a different behavior.
AFAIS, currently it works as documented and as intended.

However I am not very familiar with this code. So I might be
completely
mistaken. I came across this whilst trying work out why my config
was
not working on Ubuntu 15.10. However the NM version there appears to
be
very old and  I suspect that interface-names in the conf  for
exclusion
do not work for a number of other reasons :-)
A quick check reveals that 15.10 comes with 1.0.4-0ubuntu5 version
which has this feature too. So, it should work there.

If something is not working, it might be a bug. But I still don't see
anything wrong.
It'd be best to show the configuration you were using and explain the
observed behavior (contrary to your expectation).

ciao,
Thomas
Mea culpa.

I do not how I read it like that. Talk about seeing what you wanted to see. I hang my head in shame in front of the world (or just this mailing list).

Roger