Re: Maintaining connection

On 03/11/2015 06:23 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2015-03-11 at 15:57 -0500, Alex Ferm wrote:
Hello, I'm trying to write a python script that resets NetworkManager
when the state is not "NM_STATE_CONNECTED_GLOBAL". Does NetworkManager
time out and retry automatically during the "NM_STATE_CONNECTING" state?
Also, how is the "NM_STATE_CONNECTED_GLOBAL" determined(ie: is there a
periodic ping or something?)?
What's the reason to reset NM when it reports something isn't connected?
Just to ensure always-on connectivity as hard as possible?  Also, what
do you mean by "reset", what specific actions are you running to do so?
In general, it would be useful if NM was able to detect that networking was hosed and reset things. How would it know, however? I generally ping the gateway manually to check the connection. Are gateways always pingable? Just checking for a connection is not sufficient - e.g. when wpa_supplicant hangs (radio is operational, but incoming and outgoing packets have expired key and are discarded). Microsoft used to ping one of their servers. But that could be a problem anywhere in between the PC and their server.