RE: WiFi roaming & Modem handover

> Subject: Re: WiFi roaming & Modem handover
> From: thaller redhat com
> To: pieter cardoen hotmail com; networkmanager-list gnome org
> Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 15:42:55 +0200
>
> On Mon, 2015-06-29 at 12:56 +0200, Pieter Cardoen wrote:
> > I would like to have some information on how NetworkManager takes
> > care of handover between Access Points and between Networks:
> > How does NetworkManager handle WiFi handover between different APs of
> > one network?
>
> Do you mean roaming? That is entirely done by wpa_supplicant.
Yes I do but I also want to know how the roaming is managed by the wpa_supplicant. What metric do they use to decide to change to another Access Point?

> > How does NetworkManager handle handover between different networks:
> > i.e. a mobile network and a WiFi network.
>
> What do you mean with "handover" here? You can have different networks
> ("connections" in NetworkManager speak) active at the same time.
> In that case, priorities are determined based on routing and route
> metrics. The same is true for the default-route.
This is indeed what I want to know but I wonder when it is decided that a connection is down? It could be that the wifi can just be detected but almost no data goes over the network while a good 3G connection is available. Which metric is used to detrmine that the connection is down?