Re: Question about captive portal problem

On 02-12-2015 22:06, Dan Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2015-12-02 at 21:23 +0100, Ties Jan Hefting wrote:
Hello all!

First of all: thanks for all the hard work of the Network Manager. It
makes networking as easy as pie! :)

I have a problem with the captive portal and I think I should direct
my
questions to this mailing list. If not, please let me know who/where
should ask about this. ;)

In my country there is free WiFi in a lot of trains. It uses a
captive
portal, which is detected perfectly and shows the web authentication
window to login. To login I only have to tick a tickbox and click a
button. However, when I click this button, nothing happens. So, I
close
the window and go in Firefox to the captive portal manually, and
there
the button works.

One thing I noticed is that it opens a new window/tab after I've
logged
in successfully. If I take a look at the source code, this button
submits a form using JavaScript. The form only consists of the
beforementioned tickbox. In the 'form' tag the 'target' attribute is
set
to 'connectiontarget', but I can't find that elsewhere in the source
code, nor do I know what the HTML spec says about this non-standard
value. I know that my Android smartphone handles this well, while
there
seems to be no distinction between desktop and mobile in the login
page,
so I think it's the same web page.
http://imgur.com/a/BfmY
Screenshots can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/BfmY
http://imgur.com/a/BfmYF

My questions are:
1. Is there a log file I can take a look at to find out what's going
wrong here?
2. Is this a known problem? If so, is there a solution/workaround?
3. If this is unexpected behaviour, where can I file a bug report on
this?

So NetworkManager itself just handles detecting whether you are behind
a portal or not; neither it (or nm-applet) actually show the login
browser window.  That's handled by your desktop environment, in your
case GNOME Shell, so that's where the bug really lies.  I'd imagine the
problem could be that the login windows run a pretty limited browser,
but I'm surprised that it wouldn't handle the Javascript parts.

Best thing to do is to file a bug in the GNOME Bugzilla at
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gnome-shell against
the "portal-helper" component and include the source of the login page.
 They should be able to help you track it down.

Good luck!
Dan

Hi Dan,

Good to know about NetworkManager's role in captive portal handling.

Thank you for pointing me into the right direction. I will head over to
GNOME's Bugzilla to ask them this question.

TJ