Re: API for dispatcher scripts

On Wed, 2015-08-19 at 21:24 +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
After upgrading from openSUSE 11.4 with NM 0.9.something to openSUSE
Tumbleweed with NM 1.0.2 I was under the impression that the
interface/API for the scripts in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d is
much more reliable, and much more informative.

But just now I got a different interface for the up and the down
event
of a gsm connection. Thankfully the DEVICE_IFACE is the same for the
up
and down event, so I will adjust my scripts to use that.

Probably that is expected behavior, because of

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/callouts/nm-dispatcher-utils.c?id=1c03d92f4db80dc46fc0c4380541b541bfa3576d#n451

On another host I get different environment for initial vpn-up and a
vpn
restart. The latter lacks the route info because that is not provided
during restart after the vpn gateway timed out. Right now I dont have
the exact env data at hand, but I have added logging now to compare
both
variants. Perhaps there are already ways to catch both.

I wonder if there is any promise for the called scripts, or if its
just
more or less random data that is provided as cmdline arguments and
environment.

I think the dispatcher scripts aim to be as reliable as possible. And
to behave as documented in `man NetworkManager`.

Maybe it'd be best, if you point out where you find:

- `man NetworkManager` being unclear, inaccurate, or wrong.

- which data you actually find wrong/unexpected, or contradicting the
  the manual.

Thomas