Getting WPS secrets saved

All,

I've gotten back to my side-project to add WPS support to NetworkManager. I'm stumbling understanding how I could save the wifi password returned from WPS.

To simplify the process, I was going to implement a command in nmcli to add a new connection. As part of adding the connection, I would contact the supplicant to start a wps request and, if we received it, take the password and save it to the connection and disk. Where I'm confused right now is that I don't see where or how wifi passwords are saved anywhere. What code is actually saving the Wifi passwords? And is there a single or primary place where a wifi password is requested that we can wait for WPS response if they choose not to enter a password?

Thanks,

Eric