Re: veth won't be configured in libvirt managed LXC container

On 10/16/2014 07:08 AM, Lubomir Rintel wrote:
Hi,

currently it is impossible to get useful network configuration for LXC
containers on boot. (At least if they're managed via libvirt; I have no
idea if anything is different with native LXC tooling). They're supposed
to obtain their configuration via DHCP, but instead connection is assumed.
Firstly because there's an IPv6 local link address that (I think) gets
assigned when libvirt ups the interface and secondly because it's a
software link.

Why do we assume connection on all software links? Virtual ethernet devices
are supposed to behave much like ordinary ethernet devices; they have
carrier detection, etc.

I'm following up with the patches that resolve the problem for me, but
I'm not quite sure about the special case for veth.

Thoughts?

This may be related to a problem in libvirt-sandbox (Secure Containers):
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2014-September/msg00540.html

However, I do find it very annoying that NetworkManager insists on playing with the vnet interfaces.

Gene