Re: ping_test

On Sun, 2014-05-04 at 08:05 +0200, Hylke Postma wrote:
This is a feature that I personally miss in NetworkManager but I think
others might too. Frequently it thinks you're connected but you don't
have internet, and reloading the connection fixes the problem. It would
be nice if there were an option to have the program automatically reload
all active connections when an automatic ping or series of pings to a
site of choice, which could be a URL to test the DNS, fails. Could you
add such a feature in a later version of NetworkManager, or do you
happen to know of another program which can work with NetworkManager
that does this? Thank you.

It could be done with dispatcher scripts, or with a different monitor
service.  NetworkManager 0.9.8+ do have a configurable "connectivity
checking" feature that could be used for this too, if you have something
using D-Bus to watch the "connectivity" property.

This idea is something that could pretty easily be implemented as an
example dispatcher script that spawns a small python program to monitor
connectivity.  Any takers?