RE: networkmanager-0.9.8.9 will not connect to wifi with non-broadcast ssid

-----Original Message-----
From: John Frankish
Sent: Friday, 25 April, 2014 17:41
To: networkmanager-list gnome org
Subject: networkmanager-0.9.8.9 will not connect to wifi with
non-broadcast ssid

I've been trying to connect to a wap that does not broadcast the
ssid for a while without success.

Using the same setup with wpa_supplicant manually works using the
wpa_supplicant.conf below.

After some more checking I can confirm that networkmanager/network-
manager-applet will connect to a wap that does broadcast the ssid, which
seems to confirm that the issue is with wap that do not broadcast the ssid.

I've just verified that I can do both a new connection and a reconnection to a
hidden-SSID access point here with 0.9.8.10, though with WEP not WPA
(which shouldn't be an issue).  From your logs:

NetworkManager[1139]: <info> Config: added 'ssid' value 'bobnet'
NetworkManager[1139]: <info> Config: added 'scan_ssid' value '1'

NetworkManager doesn't store a supplicant config file, because the network
blocks are created on-the-fly based on the NM configuration and what you
type in, and a config file is pretty useless.  But the logs show what
NetworkManager is sending to the supplicant, which is exactly what would
be written to the supplicant config file.

So you can see that NM is sending scan_ssid=1.  ap_scan=2 is *not* required
for working WiFi drivers.  It's only required for older broken drivers, and for
Ad-Hoc mode.

NetworkManager[1139]: <info> (eth1): supplicant interface state:
inactive -> scanning
<30 seconds pass>
NetworkManager[1139]: <warn> Activation (eth1/wireless): association took
too long, failing activation.

This is a problem much lower down, either with the AP, or with the
supplicant and kernel.  The scanning process for the AP should take
anywhere between 1 and 10 seconds, often less than 2 or 3.

To debug that, can you grab some detailed wpa_supplicant logs?  Run these
two commands, and the supplicant should start dumping logs to
/var/log/wpa_supplicant.log:

sudo dbus-send --system --print-reply
--dest=fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1 /fi/w1/wpa_supplicant1
org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Set string:fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1
string:DebugTimestamp variant:boolean:true

sudo dbus-send --system --print-reply
--dest=fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1 /fi/w1/wpa_supplicant1
org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Set string:fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1
string:DebugLevel variant:string:"msgdump"

You should see something like this when you ask NetworkManager to
connect, or when NM tries to connect automatically:

wlp12s0: State: INACTIVE -> SCANNING
Scan SSID - hexdump_ascii(len=8)
    66 6f 6f 62 61 72 32 32    foobar22
nl80211: Scan SSID - hexdump_ascii(len=8)
    66 6f 6f 62 61 72 32 32    foobar22
wlp12s0: BSS: Add new id 15 BSSID <...> SSID 'foobar22'

Thanks for the suggestion - using wpa_supplicant -dddtu -f /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log produced the attached
output.

It's odd that this times out - if I use wpa_supplicant manually it connects in a few seconds as do windows
and iOS devices.

John