Re: Network manager gets stuck in wireless hotspot mode when resuming from sleep

On Fri, 2014-03-07 at 15:57 +1100, Will Rouesnel wrote:
Using my laptop as a wireless router for my desktop, I can easily
share it's wi-fi internet connection (provided by another wireless
router elsewhere in the house) to my desktop by picking the "Shared to
other computers" setting under it's configuration.

This works fine.

However, if I put the laptop to sleep (typically because I'm going out
with it) then when I eventually get back to the house and try to
reconnect it, NetworkManager will insist it's in "wireless hotspot"
mode.

This state is persistent - disabling through the GUI does not work, no
internet connection is shared and the laptop cannot access the
internet itself. A reboot does not fix the problem - the only fix I
have found is to go to /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections, open up
the file for the network I was using and manually change IPv4
addressing to "auto". Then I have to explicitly disable the wired
ethernet interface in order to allow it to resume normal operations.

Are you able to get some system logs from NetworkManager before and
after the suspend/resume?  Those are usually in /var/log/daemon.log
or /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages, depending on your distro.  I
think for Ubuntu it's /var/log/syslog.