Re: NetworkManager signals global connectivity even when DNS is not yet ready

On Wed, 2014-06-04 at 01:27 +0200, Marcel Dopita wrote:
Hello,

When trying to setup my desktop environment (Arch Linux & XFCE) I also
enabled Pidgin (IM client) to launch in XFCE session. I noticed that
Pidgin doesn't connect immediately after boot but it works either by
manually forcing it to reconnect or waiting 30-45 seconds for next
reconnect.

I started debugging the issue and found that Pidgin is starting
connection attempts based on event from NetworkManager:

(00:09:44) network: Got StateChange from NetworkManager: 70.

I understand that 70 is state "NM_STATE_CONNECTED_GLOBAL" - the global
network connectivity. I'm no C developer but I added some addition debug
info to find out that it fails when calling function getaddrinfo() (and
maybe some other) which returns -2 (meaning "NAME or SERVICE is
unknown.")

It's a bug, good catch.  It looks like the bits in the Manager object
that update the NM state run immediately before the bits that write out
DNS information.

Would you be able to try the attached patch and see if this fixes
things?

Thanks!