Re: NM refuses to manage a VLAN

On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 14:45:43 -0500
Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:

[root elanor network-scripts]# nmcli c up id vlan-ethgray
Error: Connection activation failed: Device not managed by NetworkManager or unavailable

Could this be the issue?

I tinkered with it a bit more and figured it out. Apparently, I cannot
migrate piecemeal. The parent device must be managed by NM before
a VLAN on it can be managed. Once that was fixed, everything worked
pretty much as expected, with just a few small bugs.

I think the most super annoying part is that address cannot be set
from the shell, because connections are only created with the default
method, dhcp. The  nmcli c mod  cannot switch two properties at a
time. Also, one cannot set method first and then ipv4.addresses,
ipv6.addresses (I forgot what happens if you try). So, one must
either do the "nmcli c edit xxx" thing, or hand-edit the connection
and then "nmcli c reload".

Other funny buglet that I remember is that if you create a VLAN
using e.g.
 nmcli c add type Vlan ifname ethmain.3 con-name ethmain.3 autoconnect yes dev ethmain id 3
it still won't work, because HWADDR must be set.

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the help.
-- P