Re: Having a hard time with NetworkManager on ArchLinux

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 20:14:26 -0500
From: "Yves S. Garret" <yoursurrogategod gmail com>
To: networkmanager-list gnome org
Subject: Fwd: Having a hard time with NetworkManager on ArchLinux

Hello Nate,

Thanks for writing back.

I did what you instructed and this is the result of the command that you
specified:

# systemctl list-unit-files | grep -i network
netctl network_connectio_at_home service   enabled
NetworkManager-dispatcher.service          disabled
NetworkManager-wait-online.service         disabled
NetworkManager.service                     disabled
network-online.target                      static
network.target                             static
I would suggest stopping and disabling the netctl service you have listed above.  Netctl and NetworkManager are both automatic network management applications.  Having your system bring up a netctl management connection only to be stopped when you start NetworkManager is probably what is causing the majority your issues.  Also, enable and start NetworkManager.service as Thomas suggested, which is the main systemd service for NetworkManager.

Whenever I bring up NetworkManager (not any other services), my manually
established connection dies and I would need to go through re-establishing
it anew.  At first I was not getting NetworkManager to work as I wanted it
to, which is why I tried messing with NetworkManager-wait-online (I'm new
to ArchLinux and to the deeper portions of Linux internals, hence this
decision out of frustration and not knowing what else to do.)
If you open a terminal and run 'nm-connection-editor', this will allow you to manage your home and library wireless connections.  Check to ensure that your home wireless connection is configured to connect automatically.  Thomas suggested right-clicking the nm-applet icon in your system tray, but different desktop environments sometimes tailor the network settings GUI to have additional or fewer options than what is available in NetworkManager, whereas nm-connection-editor is part of NetworkManager.

If there is anything else that I'm missing, please let me know.  I'll
disable the wait-online, I don't think I need it.