Re: Future development of nm-applet

On Fri, 2014-04-25 at 10:32 +0000, John Frankish wrote:
On Wed, 2014-04-23 at 09:13 +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:
Dear NetworkManager folks,

I am excited for the 1.0 release! Before that happens a small question.

NetworkManager is a GNOME project, could you please clarify what the
future of the applet is now that GNOME Shell provides an “applet”(?)
themselves?

NM is actually more of a freedesktop.org project, but we just happen to use
a lot of the GNOME infrastructure because it's a pain to change everything
over (especially bugzilla!).

But anyway, the GNOME desktop will continue to use and develop the
GNOME Shell network indicator and control center network panel, because
they are a much better fit for the UI and interaction design of the GNOME
Shell.

However, we (the NetworkManager project) intend to continue to maintain
nm-applet and nm-connection-editor as standalone components that other
GTK-based desktops like LXDE and XFCE can use.  While nm-applet is clearly
receiving less attention than it has in the past, it's not going to die.

If anyone is interested in helping maintain the applet, or implement new
features, or make it look slicker, please start sending patches and cleanups!

Is this speaking of network-manager-applet or something else called nm-applet that could be used with gtk
and a non-gnome window manager like fluxbox, flwm, etc?

Yes. It's just the same.

nm-applet is the name of the gtk program that shows an icon in the
   system tray.
nm-connection-editor is the name of a gtk program that allows editing
   connections. When you click "Edit connections" in nm-applet, it will
   start this program, or you can start it manually.
network-manager-applet is the name of the git repository where both
   nm-applet and nm-connection-editor are developed together.
   git://git.gnome.org/network-manager-applet
   https://git.gnome.org/browse/network-manager-applet/

On Fedora 20, the packages are called 'network-manager-applet' and
'nm-connection-editor', respectively.

On Debian wheezy, there is 'network-manager-gnome' which contains both
nm-applet and nm-connection-editor.

Thomas