Re: QMI support in network-manager-applet

On Thu, 2013-05-02 at 11:37 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
On Thu, 2013-05-02 at 07:56 -0500, dag dg wrote:
Ah well that would explain the lack of option. The part that confuses
me is the PPP options. When I use libqmi raw by running "qmi-network
/dev/cdc-wdm0 start; ifup wwan0" it fires up my adapter via the
command line and connects to 4G LTE just fine as wwan0(no ppp). If I
use network manager applet it still connect however when I check
ifconfig it is showing up as ppp0. From my discussions with another

If you still see ppp0, that means that for some reason ModemManager
isn't correctly detecting the device and its ethernet interface.  Can
you run ModemManager with "--debug" and post the output for your device?

Two seconds after I sent this, I remembered that the ModemManager
"Novatel LTE" plugin still doesn't use QMI; it's left over from before
we had QMI support and it's still there because it's used by Google on
some of their devices.  At this point I think we should restrict the
plugin to only the devices that Google uses and leave the rest of them
to QMI.

So to fix all that, "rm /usr/lib64/ModemManager/*novatel-lte*" and
restart MM.

tech I believe that ppp creates some unneeded overhead for this type
of connection, and I'm not even sure if it's connecting via 4G when
done through ppp, or that it's even using the /dev/cdc-wdm0 device to
grab an IP. Am I missing something? Thanks for the help.