How to find out if my WLAN uses WPA or WPA2 security?

Dear NetworkManager folks,

following a discussion on the linux-wireless list [1], I want to find
out if my WLAN uses WPA(1) or WPA2 security. In his reply Larry Finger
suggests to use `iwlist scan` but I do want to avoid installing the
package containing this and wonder if NetworkManager exposes the same
information.

In the connection properties (Verbindungsinformationen) in `nm-applet`,
the security line tells me WPA/WPA2.

I also was not able to find this in the output of nmcli.

        $ LANG=C nmcli dev wifi list
        SSID                              BSSID               MODE             FREQ       RATE       SIGNAL
SECURITY   ACTIVE
        […]
        'MYWLAN'                          XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX   Infrastructure   2457 MHz   54 MB/s    46
WPA WPA2   yes
        […]

Does NetworkManager not know about this information because
wpa_supplicant is responsible for this?

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=137156919728549&w=2